Thursday, June 12, 2008

Gone Fishin'

Our friends were down from Anchorage for the weekend so we decided to take a boat ride/fishing trip. Ron took us all out on his boat Saturday morning and it was another short adventure for our family. This was Taylor and Tanners first time on a boat. Taylor was so excited. The weather was beautiful, we packed a cooler of lunch and headed for the harbor. First stop was life jackets for all of the kids. Tanner did not like this at all.
After fueling up we headed out to sea. This is where things got interesting. The swells were only 3-4 feet but heading straight into them just about put me and Tanner into a panic attack. Add a touch of seasickness for Kendall, Trace, Heather, and Caleb and we decided that we would never survive a long trip. Now to convince the captain . . . Just about this time the turbo on one of the engines went out so we turned around and headed back to the harbor-slowly. Taylor and Mason had a great time and weren't affected by the waves at all (except for the excitement). They were on the deck or up top with the captain the whole time. Caleb is the only one who had to use the blue bucket (if you know what I mean). Once we were moving at a slower pace Tanner had a great time out on the deck and climbing around the cabin. And Tanner got out of his life jacket before we were back to shore (I know that is bad, bad, bad . . .) Trace accused me of praying the boat to break, I admit that I was praying--but not for the boat to break. I guess the Lord works in mysterious ways. :) When we got close to shore the guys threw some lines in the water and we jigged for fish until each of the big boys (Taylor, Mason and Caleb) caught and released a fish. I know I will never get on a boat again but it was an adventure, and I'm glad we shared the experience good friends.

Taylor, Mason, and Caleb (top)-waiting to head out to sea.
Taylor and Mason--it didn't take these two long to get their sea legs. (bottom)


Nichole andLibby
Taylor and Caleb
Tanner (he accepted the life jacket by now)
Just a typical Trace picture-on the cell phone.

Are we having fun yet?
Taylor and his fish.
Fishing
Tanner found a ball (notice the missing life jacket).
Trace, Tanner and Kendall
Heather feeling more green than she looks.

1 comment:

Wild Banks' said...

Hey crazy guys! Sounds like your adventure was a bit of a fiasco... the right lifejackets and some good sea sick meds work wonders on making the day fun. I'll let you know as soon as we find em! Tanner's PFD looked too big and I don't know anyone who likes to wear the ones Taylor had... Nutters! Come fish w/Brett and you'll have fun!